Parent Page(s): Peer Evaluation and Review
The iPeer online application allows instructors to create and manage peer evaluations for group projects or activities. Its integration with Canvas makes it easy to set up peer evaluation activities for student groups or assignments in any format.
Three types of evaluation formats are available within iPeer:
- Simple Evaluations: The instructor sets up a simple point scale to allow students to score their team members’ contributions and provide open-ended comments.
- Rubrics Evaluations: The instructor establishes a rubric so students can rate or comment on their group members’ contributions according to specific criteria.
- Mixed Evaluations: Students evaluate group members using a combination of the previous two evaluation formats and paragraph responses.
How can iPeer help me?
iPeer is a helpful way to incorporate peer evaluations into group activities or assignments. iPeer differs from other peer review systems in that iPeer evaluations focus on assessing team member contributions, rather than individual assignment submissions. It is often difficult for instructors to assess individual student contributions in collaborative group projects. The solution is peer evaluations through iPeer; these allow students to provide feedback on the contributions of their fellow group members using specific criteria. Making the standards of evaluation known to students from the beginning of the group activity helps to encourage group participation, cooperation and meaningful contributions from all group members.
- iPeer allows students in groups to evaluate each other’s contributions to group work set up in Canvas or offline.
- Peer evaluations in iPeer are valuable additions to collaborative group projects and team-based learning.
- Self evaluations can be enabled with the option for customized questions geared toward self-reflection.
- Instructors can download evaluation results for review, analysis or grading.
- iPeer features allow automated email reminders, evaluation release dates and optional result release dates.
- iPeer does not allow managing assignment submission or evaluation of individual student assignments.
- iPeer is limited to peer evaluation in groups and does not work well to facilitate peer assessment in large classes for individual student assignments.
- There is no training phase incorporated into the iPeer platform.
- iPeer is integrated with Canvas, allowing the import of Groups, different Group Sets and class lists.
- Before setting up the iPeer evaluation, be sure to create groups in Canvas so students are added to the correct groups in iPeer. Also, we recommend setting up any group activities after the course add drop date has passed, so that group membership will not need to be adjusted.
- Use group evaluations in iPeer as a portion of the grade for collaborative group assignments or team based learning activities. Peer evaluations help to assess how each team member performed in the group.
- iPeer is geared toward assessing student contributions within group projects or activities, not evaluating the individual assignments of their peers.
|Drop by the Arts Learning Centre for a chat in Buchanan C105A|
|Contact ArtsISIT email@example.com for assistance or a demonstration!|
|Ask us a question by filling out the form below.|
Q: Can I create create groups on iPeer?
A: Yes, iPeer has the ability to manually create groups or generate groups based on survey responses. Please refer to the instructions here.