Parent Page(s): Scantrons & Online Grading
Canvas Quizzes is an effective and flexible tool that can be used to assess student comprehension and understanding of course material.
Canvas Quizzes is an internal learning management system tool that can be used to create and conduct various types of quizzes with numerous question options. Most question types can be automatically graded and recorded in the Canvas Gradebook, reducing the amount of manual grading needed. Canvas Quizzes’ flexibility and close integration with grading tools make it one of the most useful tools on Canvas.
- Create different types of quizzes, such as graded or practice quizzes. Canvas also allows the creation of graded and ungraded surveys.
- Question types include: multiple choice, multiple answers, fill-in-the-blank, fill-in-multiple-blanks, true/ false, multiple dropdowns, matching, numerical answer, formula, essay or file upload.
- Most questions types (aside from essay and file upload) can be graded automatically.
- Quiz can be timed and set to allow multiple attempts.
- Automated feedback can be set up for questions or right/ wrong answers.
- Quiz can be previewed and tested by the instructor before it is published and visible to students.
- Multiple question types to fit diverse pedagogical needs: multiple choice, multiple answers, fill-in-the-blank, fill-in-multiple-blanks, true/ false, multiple dropdowns, matching, numerical answer, formula, essay or file upload.
- All created questions are archived in Question Banks for convenient reuse in other Quizzes, even in other Canvas courses.
- Question Groups help to randomize questions so that each student can be given a unique exam.
- Time Limit option limits the amount of time students have to take a quiz. After time runs out, the quiz is automatically submitted.
- If students must exit the Quiz before completing it, their work is automatically saved.
- Students can be allowed to retake the Quiz and instructor have the option of which score to keep (latest, highest or average score).
- Automated, detailed feedback can be provided for answer selections or questions.
- Quiz answers can be hidden, shown or available for a limited time.
- Options to show one quiz question at a time and lock answers after answering so students cannot go back and change their answers.
- Moderate this Quiz option allows instructors to view the progress of student submissions and details on student Quiz attempts (number of attempts, the time needed to complete the Quiz, number of times student exited the Quiz, etc.).
- Quizzes can be manually locked for the class or manually unlocked by the instructor.
- Quiz results can be downloaded and detailed student or item analyses provided.
- Matching question types will not accommodate images or audio/ video files.
- No options for hotspot style questions.
- Answer fields do not have formatting options.
- Currently, there are no options for a word limit or word minimum on essay questions.
- Canvas Classic Quizzes (outline of a rocket ship icon) is easily confused with New Quizzes (filled in rocket ship icon). While New Quizzes has some new features including a wider range of question types and greater options for answer settings, it introduces certain challenges including:
- New Quizzes Question Banks cannot be shared with other instructors.
- Quiz results cannot be hidden from students and the tool does not generate user friendly Quiz result analysis reports.
- Course Designers do not have access to New Quizzes settings.
- There have been performance issues when a large class attempts to access a New Quizzes assessment at the same time.
- Before using New Quizzes, it is recommended that instructors reach out to the email@example.com to discuss potential drawbacks of this tool.
- Utilize question naming conventions in Question Banks to organize quiz questions so that they can be reused easily.
- Preview the Quiz before publishing to double-check everything is working before publishing it for students to see.
- Use Question Groups to randomize questions to reduce academic dishonesty.
- Enable Respondus LockDown Browser for your course to prevent students from accessing external resources during the Quiz.
- For live invigilation options, please refer to Monitor Your Online Exams with LockDown Browser and Zoom.