Sunsetting Collaborate Ultra
Collaborate Ultra will be discontinued at UBC at the end of the 2020W2 semester on April 30, 2021 and will no longer be available for use.
How will this impact instructors currently using Collaborate Ultra?
- For classes starting in summer, UBC recommends using Zoom to run synchronous virtual classroom activities. Instructors who don’t already have UBC licensed Zoom accounts can send their requests to email@example.com.
- If you plan on reusing/archiving videos that have been recorded on Collaborate Ultra for future courses, they will need to be downloaded and uploaded onto Kaltura, CLAS, or OneDrive (see comparison chart). Please be aware of privacy and copyright guidelines to see if your video can be shared between semesters. Students should not be visible in the recording unless they have provided written consent.
- If you have Standing Deferred (SD) students, access to Collaborate Ultra recordings can be extended until the end of July 2021 so students can complete their courses. If you have Collaborate Ultra lecture recordings that need to be accessed by the student(s), contact Arts ISIT at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
How can Arts ISIT offer support during this transition?
- We offer learning opportunities to help instructors transition from Collaborate Ultra through:
- We can aid with transferring recorded Collaborate Ultra sessions by request. We can:
- Assist with offering recommendations for archiving your video.
- Consult on approaches for repurposing them for various teaching purposes such as flipped/hybrid learning.
- Assist with limited video post-production to assist with the editing of recordings that contain personal student information or copyrighted material.
- If we can help with transferring videos, please make a request via email at email@example.com before June 1, 2021.
Video Tutorial on how to back up Collaborate Ultra Videos
*It is a strong recommendation that videos are uploaded to Kaltura since it integrates seamlessly with Canvas.
|Storage Capacity||Unlimited||1 TB||200 GB|
|Capacity per video||5 GB per file; 2 GB per file for students||Within Storage Capacity||Within Storage Capacity|
|Embedding into Canvas Course|
|Free at UBC|
|Closed Captioning supported|