Settings: How Do You Import Content From Other Courses?
Importing content from an existing course or template may simplify the course creation process. Here, we will highlight the best practices of importing content from one course to another.
- Go to the Home Page of the course you are editing.
- Click on Import Existing Content from the right-hand side menu.
- Click on the drop-down menu for content type > Click Copy a Canvas Course.
- Enter the name of the course where content will be imported from. (Make sure Include Completed Courses is selected.)
- To copy over the whole course, select All content. If there are only certain sections or items that you would like to copy over, choose Select specific content. You will be able to select the content required later.
- Optional: Selecting Adjust events and due dates will allow you to choose to either shift dates or remove dates. We recommend you choose the option to select remove dates as it is less confusing than shifting dates. Please note that due dates can be also changed within the assignment settings (as usual) after the copy is complete.
- Click on Import.
- If you chose Select specific content:
- Under Current Jobs, there will be a Waiting for selection sign. Click Select content.
- Select the items/sections to import from the list.
- If you selected All content when importing items, the import will begin immediately and will have a Queued status.
- You will see a Completed status icon when the import is over.
- There may be some issues with the import. You can find more information about it by clicking on the issues link beside the status.
Importing Single Items into a Course
- Locate the item that you would like to import into another course.
- Click on the 3 dots of the item that you want to copy > Select Copy to.
- On the right, a Copy to… section will pop up. Search for the destination course by typing it into the search bar or selecting it from the drop-down.
- When copying an individual item over, Select a Module is optional. If a module is not selected, the item will not appear in modules. It will be copied over to the appropriate tab. (eg. an assignment will be copied over to the Assignment section).
- Click Copy.
Considerations when Copying/Importing Content
- Where to find copied/imported items:
- Copied items will appear at the bottom of the page.
- In the Assignments section, imported/copied items will appear under the Assignment Group called Imported Assignments.
- What gets copied over when copying an item:
- When importing a graded item, the grade posting policy settings are copied over as well. Make sure to check the Gradebook if you want to make changes to the grade posting policy.