Research & Publications
Parent Page(s): Intro to Arts Evaluation & Learning Analytics
Learn more about Arts learning analytics projects; read our reports and publications.
Learning Analytics Policy and Strategy
Macfadyen, L. P., Groth, D., Rehrey, G., Shepard, L., Greer, J., Ward, D., Bennett, C., Kaupp, J., Molinaro, M. & Steinwachs, M. (2017). Developing institutional learning analytics ‘communities of transformation’ to support student success. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, March 13 – 17, 2017 (pp. 498-499). ACM New York, NY, USA. doi: 10.1145/3027385.3029426
- Ferguson, R., Macfadyen, L. P., Clow, D., Tynan, B., Alexander, S., & Dawson, S. (2014). Setting learning analytics in context: Overcoming the barriers to large-scale adoption. Journal of Learning Analytics, 1(3), 120-144.
- Macfadyen, L. P., Dawson, S. Pardo, A., & Gašević, D. (2014). Embracing Big Data in Complex Educational Systems: The Learning Analytics Imperative and the Policy Challenge. Research & Practice in Assessment, 9, 17-28.
- Macfadyen, L. P. & Dawson, S. (2012). Numbers are Not Enough. Why e-Learning Analytics Failed to Inform an Institutional Strategic Plan. Educational Technology & Society, 15 (3), 149-163.
Macfadyen, L. P. (2016). Using EventFlow and CoCo to explore classroom activity patterns and learner perfor- mance. In Proceedings, Putting Temporal Analytics into Practice: The 5th International Workshop on Temporality in Learning Data. University of Edinburgh, Scotland, April 25th 2016.
- Macfadyen, L.P., Roll, I. & Sandilands, D. (2015). Using easily accessible aggregate LMS and SEoT data to evaluate learning design, learner engagement and perceived course value. Poster presented at the STLHE Annual Conference, Vancouver, June 2015. Download a copy of the poster here.
- Roll, I., Macfadyen, L. P. & Sandilands, D. (2015). Evaluating the Relationship Between Course Structure, Learner Activity, and Perceived Value of Online Courses. Proceedings, Learning at Scale Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, 2015.
- Dawson, S; Macfadyen, L; Risko, E; Foulsham, T; Kingstone, A. (2012). Using technology to encourage self-directed learning: The Collaborative Lecture Annotation System. (ASCILITE 2012, Wellington, New Zealand, November 2012).
- Dawson, S., Macfadyen, L., Lockyer, L. & Mazzochi-Jones, D. (2011). Using social network metrics to assess the effectiveness of broad based admission practices. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(1), 16-27.
- Macfadyen, L. P. & Sorenson, P. (2010). Learner Interaction Monitoring System (LiMS): Capturing the Behaviors of Online Learners and Evaluating Online Training Courses. (6th International Conference on Data Mining, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 12-15, 2010)
- Macfadyen, L. P. & Sorenson, P. (2010). Using LiMS (the Learner Interaction Monitoring System) to Track Online Learner Engagement and Evaluate Course Design. Proceedings, Third International Conference on Educational Data Mining, pp. 301-302 (Pittsburg, PA, USA, June 11-13, 2010).
- Dawson, S., Macfadyen, L. P. & Lockyer, L. (2009). Learning or performance: Predicting drivers of student motivation. Proceedings, ASCILITE 2009, Auckland, New Zealand, December 2009.
Analysis of UBC Arts Student Evaluation of Teaching (SeOT) data
- Macfadyen, L. P., Dawson, S., Gašević, D. & Prest, S. (2015). Whose feedback? A multilevel analysis of student completion of end-of-term teaching evaluations. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 1-19. doi:10.1080/02602938.2015.1044421
- Lee, M. & Macfadyen, L. P. (2015). Does Instructor Gender Matter? Evaluating the Effect of Gender on Course Evaluation Scores: A Report [unpublished]