Parent Page(s): Online Exam Security
|The UBC Vancouver Senate has passed a motion, effective immediately, for UBCV faculties to restrict the use of automated remote invigilation tools like Proctorio that use algorithmic analysis of data recorded during invigilation, except where accreditation bodies explicitly require remote proctoring software. You can read details of the motion to limit remote proctoring on the UBC Provost & Vice-President Academic website and contact us to request support with exam technologies and strategies.|
Proctorio allows students to take Canvas Quizzes from anywhere while retaining the security and integrity of Quizzes.
Proctorio is an automated online proctoring tool that ensures academic integrity during exams and quizzes. Integrated with Canvas, Proctorio allows you to create test environments specific to your assessment needs via full control over recording, lockdown, and authentication options.
Each student’s behaviour can be monitored during an assessment by recording their desktop screen, any audio or dialogue, or the students themselves. Potential issues are automatically reported in Canvas and provided as a report for your review. Proctorio can be enabled for any Canvas course and is compatible with Canvas’ Classic Quizzes.
- Record students’ webcam/microphone feed, screen activity, web traffic, or the physical examination room to monitor student activity.
- Prevent and block the use of external functions such as printing, copying/pasting, or opening/closing new tabs.
- Authenticate students by prompting students to scan a government or UBC-issued identification card.
- Review suspicious and unusual behaviour through a dashboard-styled reporting system.
- Exempt individual students from using Proctorio without having to create a separate Canvas Quiz.
- Available across standard operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Audio and video algorithms ensure academic integrity by detecting browser activity, other people in the room, and head and eye movement.
- Suitable for distance education exams as students do not need to be physically present.
- Allow students to only access links provided within a Canvas Quiz for any external tools/resources that may be required.
- Optional re-entry settings can be enabled to permit students back into a quiz or force them to submit the quiz in one sitting.
- Suspicion level can be set to determine how heavily student behaviour is monitored.
- Integrated seamlessly into Canvas, allowing students to access Proctorio from within the Canvas course.
- Live Chat support feature available 24/7 for any technical issues.
- *Currently free to use for instructors and students through Winter Term 2 (until the end of April 2021).
- Only compatible with Google Chrome and requires the Proctorio Chrome Extension.
- Only compatible with Microsoft Edge for a PC and requires the Proctorio Extension.
- Only compatible with Classic Quizzes in Canvas. Incompatible with New Quizzes in Canvas.
- Must be downloaded by students ahead of time before taking a Canvas Quiz.
- Incompatible with mobile devices, including iPad, iPhone, Android device, etc.
- Enabling the option Record Room can pose difficulty to those whose webcams cannot be rotated.
- Book extra laptops if there is a concern that students will have trouble downloading Proctorio, or if they do not have access to a webcam or microphone.
- Have students download Proctorio ahead of time to avoid installation and setup issues during class/exam time.
- Provide your class with the opportunity to practice using Proctorio beforehand and familiarize themselves with the platform by setting up a practice exam or low-stakes quiz before the real one.
- Proctorio is available in all Canvas courses. To enable it, follow the instructions on the LT Hub page.
- Proctorio cannot be previewed when in “Test Student” view. If you need to test the student view of a Proctorio quiz, please contact Arts ISIT at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Download the latest version of your browser and the extension for Proctorio
- Log into canvas.ubc.ca and select a course from your dashboard
- Go to Settings
- Click on the Navigation tab at the top
- Locate Secure Exam Proctor from the bottom group of items
- Click on the Three Dots Icon > Enable
When you edit a quiz, you will see the Proctorio Settings tab along top.
Proctorio offers 24/7 live chat support for all users. (can also be accessed under “tools” while students are taking the exam)
Not all students have the technical equipment required for online proctorship. We suggest providing alternative examination accommodations, such as final papers or projects.
Students can also reach out to their academic advisory for assistance. They may be able to help equipment requirements. These options should be decided upon and communicated to students in advance.
- Proctorio only works with “Classic Canvas Quizzes.”
- Include additional time after the exam in case students experience technical issues.
- Set Lock Down Options > “Force full Screen” to “Moderate (15 s)” so students can resume the exam for accidental issues.
- Leave “Block Downloads” disabled if you have PDF downloads embedded in the exam.
- Leave “Prevent Re-entry” disabled so students can resume the exam if they experience network issues.
- Ensure that images and files are optimized in size to accommodate different internet speeds and loading times (consider alternative ways of delivering questions without adding images and files).
Proctorio staff cannot access the recordings during or after the exam sessions; the recordings are assessed solely by the application’s algorithms and the course’s instructor and instructional team.
Proctorio does not collect personally identifiable information about students and does not share any data with third party organizations. Videos are stored on temporary servers in Canada. Students are welcome to uninstall the extension after the exam, and reinstall it when needed.
Proctorio cannot detect or prevent all the possible ways students can cheat, and mainly acts as a deterrent. Proctorio works best for timed, question-based exams. With Proctorio’s exam report, you can make a judgement call based on the alerts/flags provided.
Proctorio can be turned off for individual students through “Moderate this Quiz” or you can consider administering alternatives for exams.
Documentation for how to turn off Proctorio with individual students: Proctorio – Making Exceptions for Some Students
Exam Alternatives: https://keepteaching.ubc.ca/assignments-assessments/#exam-alternatives
- Reducing the number of images and files in questions
- Optimizing the size of images and files in questions
- Broader quiz/exam availability to stagger the number of students online at the same time. (consider your own availability to moderate them)
- Run a practice quiz
You can advise students to use Proctorio’s 24/7 live chat support if they experience any issues during an exam.
To allow students to switch keyboard languages during an exam, leave the setting “Force Full Screen” disabled.
By default, Proctorio selects and applies the access code setting however it doesn’t take effect. Instead, it’s overriding the function by requiring students to install its extension.
Some likely causes of this message to appear for students:
- Proctorio Chrome Extension has not been installed – whenever the Chrome browser is updated, the extension will need to be installed again. Users can check this by looking for the Proctorio extension logo that usually appears to the right of the URL field.
- Proctorio Microsoft Edge Extension has not been installed – whenever the Microsoft Edge browser is updated, the extension will need to be installed again. Users can check this by looking for the Proctorio extension logo that usually appears to the right of the URL field.
- Flexible Exam is applied – the message will appear if the student chooses the Proctorio required option of the exam to take.
Embed attachments as an image to ensure students can access the content without downloading it and/or leaving the exam.
To create exceptions for Proctorio use, navigate to the exam page on Canvas and click on “Moderate Exam” in the upper right corner. Proctorio has added an additional column which is indicated by the webcam icon. To disable Proctorio for individual students, please follow the steps below:
- Uncheck the student’s name in the Proctorio column.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Change Proctorio Access Settings.” Do NOT click “Make exam flexible.”
- The page will refresh and Proctorio will display a password. All students with their names unchecked in the Proctorio column will see only the “Take the Quiz” button and will need to enter the password in order for them to write the exam.
All other students whose names are checked in the Proctorio column will see two options to access the quiz: “Take the Quiz: or “Take with Proctorio.” Please instruct them to select the Proctorio
Set up the camera/microphone in your browser:
- Open Chrome/Microsoft Edge. At the top right, click the three-dots icon, and go to Settings.
- In the menu on the left:
- Chrome: go to Privacy and security, then click on Site settings.
- Microsoft Edge: go to Cookies and site permissions.
- Click on Camera or Microphone.
- Check that the correct camera/microphone is chosen.
- Review your blocked sites.
Set up your computer to allow camera/microphone in your browser:
- Go to Start > Settings > Privacy.
- In the menu on the left, click on Camera or Microphone.
- Check that your bowser has been allowed to access your camera/microphone.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.
- Select Camera or Microphone.
- Check that your bowser has been allowed to access your camera/microphone.
Note: Make sure your camera is not being used by another program on the computer at the same time.