2022W1 Start of Term Checklist
In preparation for 2022W1, please have a look through this checklist to confirm that your courses are ready for September.
Check to see if you have a Canvas site set up for each of your Winter courses:
- When you log into canvas.ubc.ca, your course(s) should display as Course Card(s) on your Dashboard or in the “All Courses” list in the Courses tab.
Merge courses and copy course content as needed:
- Contact us for assistance with crosslisting/merging courses, or to copy over content from a previous course for Winter 2022.
Prepare your course readings:
- It is best to merge courses before setting up Library Online Course Reserves (LOCR). If LOCR has already been requested for the original courses, resubmit your LOCR request with the newly merged course(s). For assistance, visit the Using Course Reserves page.
Preparing to Teach
Check that your TA(s) have been added:
- Once your department timetable representative (T-Rep) has entered your TA(s) into the SIS system, they will automatically have access by September 6, 2022. (Note: TA(s) cannot be added to courses before their appointment start date.)
- Go to the People tab in your Course Navigation menu within Canvas. If you do not see your TA(s) listed after September 6, please contact your T-Rep.
- To help your TAs get ready to support your classes, encourage them to self-enrol on the Arts Teaching Assistant Training site in Canvas, attend a TA-focused workshop, or refer to the TA-specific resources on our website.
If you are teaching hybrid, multi-access, or online courses:
- We recommend having a UBC registered Zoom account. This request may be made by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our Zoom page for more information and best practices for online classrooms.
Set up lecture capture if needed:
- In order to assist instructors with recording and sharing their lectures online, Arts ISIT offers support for classrooms with built-in lecture capture equipment, as well as portable AV equipment for classrooms that do not have lecture capture equipment. Learn more or make a lecture capture request on our Lecture Capture page.
If you would like to book a computer lab:
- Arts ISIT has Windows and Mac computer labs available which can be booked for instructor use. This includes one-off reservations to host digital assessments. For more information or to reserve a lab, visit our Computer Labs page.
Ensure your course is ready for the term with this course checklist:
- Assignments, Quizzes and Discussions have the correct availability and due dates.
- Modules and content pages have been published (made visible to students).
- By default, grades are released automatically. You may want to set the Grade Posting Policy to Manually Post Grades to ensure grading activity is hidden from students.
- Publish your Canvas course so that students can access it on Tuesday, September 6.
For additional support with teaching and learning technologies:
- Visit the Arts ISIT website for tool and technology guides, as well as pedagogical resources.
We are available to assist you with copying content from previous courses, merging courses, or managing Canvas course content and settings. Get in touch through virtual drop-ins, email, phone, or in-person.