Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund (TLEF)
Parent Page(s): TLEF, Flexible Learning and MOOCs
The Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund (TLEF) was created in 1991 to enrich student learning by supporting innovative and effective educational enhancements. It is financed entirely by a portion of the student tuition paid to UBC Vancouver. Each year, the Office of the Provost invites all UBC-V Faculties and Colleges to apply for TLEF funding for initiatives that will improve the student learning experience at our university. To enable larger proposals to best align with the strategic priorities of the Department, Faculty and the institution, a two-stage proposal development process was introduced for the 2015 funding call that divided the funding call into large (above $50,000) and small (less than $50,000) projects.
2018 TLEF Funding Round Announced
The call for small TLEF proposals is now open. Proposals are due November 17, 2017 by 3pm and must be submitted online through the TLEF web site. If you are thinking about submitting a proposal Arts ISIT can help you with pedagogical and technical consultation on ways to use different , guidance on budget and staffing options, connect you to similar current or proposed TLEF projects and connect you with other support on campus such as CTLT and IT Digital Media Studios.
(The 2018 TLEF call for Large TLEF proposals is now closed. Letters of Intent for Large TLEF projects were due July 14, 2017. Successful applicants have been invited to submit a full proposal by October 13, 2017.)
- Large enrolment courses
- Mechanisms for reducing the use of classroom time and space at peak periods of the week
- Courses that can use online material to deliver fully online, hybrid, and regular face-to-face on-campus courses,
- First and Second year community-engaged learning experiences.
- Courses that leverage supported learning technologies to promote student engagement, personalized learning, peer learning, asynchronous dialogue, classroom response, and student media production.
For more information regarding the TLEF application process and criteria, please visit the UBC TLEF web site:
- Application Process – http://tlef.ubc.ca/application/application-process/
- TLEF Criteria – http://tlef.ubc.ca/application/tlef-criteria/
University Timelines for 2018
Deadline for Arts Abstract Submission: June 28, 2017 (closed)
Deadline for LOI Submission: July 14, 2017 at 3pm (closed)
Full Proposal Submission: October 13, 2017 at 3pm.
Proposal Call Announcement: September 11, 2017
Full Proposal Submission: November 17, 2017 at 3pm
Arts Internal Process
In addition to the submission process outlined on the TLEF site, Arts mandates an internal, early submission process for new Large TLEF projects to encourage discussion and coaching ahead of proposal submissions. The Arts TLEF Abstracts submission process allows faculty to submit short project ideas (abstracts) to get early feedback and consultation. The submissions will be shared with Associate Deans and reviewed by ArtsISIT staff who have assisted on numerous TLEF proposals and can offer support in pedagogy, technology, budget development, background research and evaluation planning. We will also assist in the coordination of similar projects within the Faculty and connect with existing projects and other support from central units like CTLT and UBC Studios. We encourage faculty to submit abstracts early and believe the additional time will result in higher quality proposals.
For Large TLEF projects (greater than $50,000) or if you are unsure if your project is best suited as a large or small project, please submit your abstract by Wednesday, June 28. Abstracts for small projects can continue to be submitted after this date.
Complete the following form to submit your TLEF abstract for internal review (new projects only). Please submit by June 28, 2017 for Large TLEF Projects.
ArtsISIT senior staff reviews projects and coordinates with the Arts ISIT Director and Dean’s Office for alignment with strategic priorities. We will contact you to set up an initial meeting.
ArtsISIT senior staff works closely with you to develop your proposal and budget, consulting with other units (CTLT, IT, UBC Studios)
A reminder announcement of the call for submissions to the
University Timelines will be sent out to ensure the LOI and proposals are submitted by the University deadlines.
2017 TLEF Recipients
For the 2017 round of TLEF projects the Faculty of Arts received 11 new and 5 returning projects funded for a total of $399,501. The complete list of funded projects is available on the TLEF web site:
- Educational and Career Outcomes for UBC Arts Students: Towards a new Paradigm – Sunaina Assanand (Large TLEF)
- Cultivating citizenship skills through teaching and learning in the humanities – Michael Griffin (Small TLEF)
- Writing in the Faculty of Arts: Understanding student learning and knowledge transfer in Arts Studies in Research and Writing (ASRW) – Katherine Power (Small TLEF)
- Asian Canadian Multimedia Production: Developing Curriculum Materials for Ethical Practices of Community Engagement – Chris Lee (Small TLEF)
If you would like more information or have questions about the TLEF process, please contact Jason Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org.